Monday, August 3, 2009

The age of technology

With Myspace, Twitter, Facebook we constantly receive updates from our friends lives. Recently one of my friends had a battle with another friend over Facebook and the friendship ended. It got me thinking. In this age of technology is it easier or harder for us to communicate? I am on the fence about it. In some aspects technology makes it easier to communicate. People who I wouldn't regularly have contact with I can write a short wall post or send a tweet too. It makes it easier to sugar coat things when there is a pressing issue but is that a good thing? Is it good that instead of turning to the person whom you have the issues with a discussing it face to face we blog about it or email them? I usually don't have a problem voicing my opinions. People usually know where I stand on things and I am pretty much an open book so it's hard for me to grasp that some people can only communicate through technology. I think that's sad.

3 comments:

  1. I think it allows people to be lazy. No one actually talks on the phone anymore. People just message on FB or text. I think this is going to affect society in a negative way in the long run.

    I've gone an entire day were the only way I communicate with anyone is online or texting. That's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wtih Tavia - it allows people to be lazy, which is ridiculous. I purposely talk to H and my parents by phone every night because I think it's insane that I can go a whole day without talking on the phone once. That just blows my mind that we're in that technological phase where we can do that.

    I think it's almost worse for people to have so many different ways to communicate because people find it easier to confront someone [or talk about them behind their back] when they don't have to do it face-to-face or even over the phone. FB wars happen a LOT now because people take out their anger through their statuses, get into a fight and then end their friendship. It's so hard to tell what feelings are behind people's words online sometimes that it just gets blown out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tavia I'm not a phone person because I'd rather talk in person but I can't imagine living my life of only emails, chat boards and texts.

    Ebonie, preach it sister!

    ReplyDelete